Return Home

Nancy Pelosi Is At It Again!

Appearing on “Meet the Press” August 24, 2008 Nancy Pelosi tried to speak for the teachings of the Church on the Sanctity of Life.

MR. BROKAW:  Senator Obama saying the question of when life begins is above his pay grade, whether you’re looking at it scientifically or theologically. If he were to come to you and say, “Help me out here, Madame Speaker.  When does life begin?” what would you tell him?

REP. PELOSI:  I would say that as an ardent, practicing Catholic, this is an issue that I have studied for a long time.  And what I know is, over the centuries, the doctors of the Church have not been able to make that definition.  And Senator–St. Augustine said at three months.  We don’t know. The point is, is that it shouldn’t have an impact on the woman’s right to choose.  Roe v. Wade talks about very clear definitions of when the child–first trimester, certain considerations; second trimester; not so third trimester.  There’s very clear distinctions.  This isn’t about abortion on demand, it’s about a careful, careful consideration of all factors and–to–that a woman has to make with her doctor and her god.  And so I don’t think anybody can tell you when life begins, human life begins.  As I say, the Catholic Church for centuries has been discussing this, and there are those who’ve decided…

MR. BROKAW:  The Catholic Church at the moment feels very strongly that it…

REP. PELOSI:  I understand that.

MR. BROKAW:  …begins at the point of conception.

REP. PELOSI:  I understand.  And this is like maybe 50 years or something like that.  So again, over the history of the church, this is an issue of controversy.  But it is, it is also true that God has given us, each of us, a free will and a responsibility to answer for our actions.  And we want abortions to be safe, rare, and reduce the number of abortions.  That’s why we have this fight in Congress over contraception.  My Republican colleagues do not support contraception.  If you want to reduce the number of abortions, and we all do, we must–it would behoove you to support family planning and, and contraception, you would think.  But that is not the case.  So we have to take–you know, we have to handle this as respectfully–this is sacred ground. We have to handle it very respectfully and not politicize it, as it has been–and I’m not saying Rick Warren did, because I don’t think he did, but others will try to.

Now she is invoking prayers to St. Joseph the Worker on “his feast day”, March 19, 2010 as a reason to pray for the “life affirming” health care legislation. In her remarks, she also highlights the School Sisters of Notre Dame and the Sisters of Notre Dame “both of whom taught her” and signed the March 16, 2010 letter supporting the health care legislation. Well that starts to explain it!

Speaker Pelosi is WRONG once again. The health care bill is NOT “life affirming”.

Catholic Advocate does not need to say anymore. Watch the video so you can see Speaker Pelosi’s remarks for yourself.

Pelosi: Today We Pray To St. Joseph The Worker For This “Life-Affirming Legislation”

P.S.  The Feast Day of St. Joseph the Worker is May 1; small technicality, Madame Speaker. March 19 is the feast day of St. Joseph of Nazareth, the Husband of Mary and Foster Father of Jesus. St. Joseph of Nazareth, the patron saint of fathers who knew what it meant to protect the life of the unborn…the one who would become our Savior.

• Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Google Buzz
  • RSS
  • Tumblr

8 Responses to Nancy Pelosi Is At It Again!

1. wineplz says:

Every time that woman opens her mouth I feel the need to stuff a dirty sock in it. I just can’t keep up with the lies and the lunacy from her anymore.

2. Neil says:

Pelosi is not an isolated case. If Catholics were all true to the majesterium – and the bishops did a far better job than they do – they could determine the direction of this country, even on abortion. Obama got elected because a lot of “Catholics” voted for him including many priests and consecrated religious.

3. John H. Ward says:

St. Joseph has two solemnities-March 19 St.Joseph as head of the Holy Family and May 1 we celebrate St. Joseph
    The Worker. Friday than we celebrated St. Joseph as head of The Holy Family and Protector of The Pre Born.
    Odd that Pelosi didn’t know that.

4. marsha says:

Amen Neil. I have written letters and called my bishop and now am withholding monies from the collections because they are lukewarm on Hot political issues, afterall we follow the tenets of the Catholic faith first before we follow any recommendations from any political party.

5. Ross says:

I don\’t know if she really thinks she is doing Gods work or not. One thing is for sure she doesn\’t know God. She can\’t possibly have a relationship Christ our savior and try to convince the American people this bill is life affirming when it will eventually pay to kill babies. She is pro choice aka (Godless). Maybe she needs to spend more time praying to Jesus for her own self versus to Joseph for others. No offense to anyone, but I feel a lot closer to God when I pray to him direct, nothing wrong with the saints but thye were sinners just like us, only Jesus heals, and lifts the guilt of sin..

Marsha, I can understand why you would feel strong about holding monies from the Church, but I think it\’s best to put it in Gods hands. My church has done questionable things in the past as well. I know the Deacon still has to feed his family, si I still give, but to be honest many times I feel better about giving when I give direct to charities like \"Feed the Children\", Salvation Army… etc.. It\’s still Gods work and they in my opinion do more good with it often then does the Church.

6. Sallie says:

Sad!! So many trader Catholics tarnish the real beauty of the church. Jesus crucifixion by his own chosen people
    continues today. My faith tells me Christ has died, Christ has risen, and Christ will come again. He will judge the living and the dead and His Kingdom will have no end. I wait in joyous hope for that day to come. Come quickly Lord Jesus in all Your Glory!!

7. Ron Lehr says:

Ms. Pelosi will one day face her Creator and it will be too late for her. She supports funding abortion. For a Catholic, this is a mortal sin. She will have to suffer the consequences when she meets her Maker. She states the Catholic Church has spent 50 years trying to determine when a baby in the womb is a living being and they have not been able to establish that. She is WRONG. The child is a human being at the moment of conception.

Ron Lehr