Are Catholics in Congress Ignoring Both the Views of their Faith and their Constituents?
Susan B. Anthony List recently had the polling companyTM, inc./WomanTrend conduct eight Congressional district-wide surveys of N=300 registered voters in each district March 1-3, 2010. The nationwide survey has a margin of error of ±5.65%.
Seven of the eight Congressional districts surveyed are held by “Pro-Life” Catholic Members of the House of Representatives.
- Indiana’s 8th Congressional District – Brad Ellsworth (D)
- Ohio’s 1st Congressional District – Steve Driehhaus (D)
- Ohio’s 6th Congressional District – Charlie Wilson (D)
- Ohio’s 9th Congressional District – Marcy Kaptur (D)
- Ohio’s 16th Congressional District – John Boccieri (D)
- Pennsylvania’s 4th Congressional District – Jason Altmire (D)
- Pennsylvania’s 11th Congressional District – Paul Kanjorski (D)
- Note: Indiana’s 9th held by Baron Hill (D) (Methodist) was also surveyed
Some of the key findings of the poll include:
Voters Reject Federal Funding of Abortion, Especially in Healthcare Reform
At least three-in-five voters in these eight congressional districts agreed that “Abortion and abortion funding have no place in healthcare legislation.” Additionally, more than 70% of voters agreed in four of the districts surveyed (Ohio-06, Ohio-16, Indiana-08, and Indiana-09).
At least two-thirds of voters in each Congressional District opposed “using tax dollars to pay for abortions” and in all districts majorities “strongly opposed.” Furthermore, in three districts opposition reached 80% (Ohio-06, Ohio-16, and Indiana-08).
Catholic Advocate will be watching the votes of these Members of Congress, along with other Catholics in Congress, on health care reform if it continues to include abortion funding and informing our community once the final vote occurs.